Tuesday, September 7, 2010





I am a
self-acclaimed sketcher. I can sketch almost anything as long as I don't have to show it to the general public. Having parents who both graduated Pratt, my drawings are something they have seen and appreciated...hmm perhaps because they have no choice as to not offend their own child?

This first assignment allowed me to see my potential without worrying about what the student beside me was producing. It seemed overwhelming at first, creating two different designs, but with no previous "real" instruction, I am especially proud of my work on these first pieces. I loved the vase I chose to draw, its bright orange color that although is not depicted here, caught my eye from the start. The pieces I drew hold variety in the lines I used to add design. It holds various elements and the twists of the lines make it intriguing to the eye. Different sized lines allowed me to vary the space and add interest to the composition without making it too confusing to the viewer. The composition also flows rather unanimously because based on the way it was drawn, the vase is abstract but the shape of the object can still be defined.

Of course with everything created in this world comes room for improvement however...Initially, I cleaned up the horizontal/vertical drawing by using different sized lines to add shading and differentiate the more dimensional sections of the vase. For the single-line drawing, I chose to play around with where the fruit and vegetable designs were placed as to not leave too much negative space for the eye. With a little inspiration, I can take more risks with my projects to follow and push my work to its full potential.

- Kara G.

1 Comments:

At September 15, 2010 at 8:17 AM , Blogger Jazione said...

Kara, love that first paragraph, you're hilarious.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home